Bair Island Aquatic Center (BIAC) is looking for a part-time masters rowing coach. The ideal candidate is passionate about rowing, has excellent organizational and communication skills, and must be available on weekday mornings to run training sessions, as well on select weekends to travel to regattas. The position demands a solid understanding of the rowing stroke and a willingness to coach athletes of all ages and experience levels.
This is a paid position, with an hourly rate that is negotiable based on experience level. The position includes access to club facilities.
BIAC is located in the San Francisco Bay Area just upstream from the Port of Redwood City, and enjoys year-round access to protected marine waters.
- 5+ years rowing experience.
- 2+ years coaching and regatta experience - regionals, nationals, etc.
- Developing a training plan for athletes that includes water and land sessions.
- Developing a sprint and head race plan, which specifies both the requirements for selection and a deadline by which crews will be set.
- Coordinating with the club’s Operations Manager as well as other coaches to ensure that club equipment is shared fairly between groups.
- Coaching regular practices on weekday and weekend mornings.
- Monitoring athlete participation and encouraging attendance.
- Selecting and entering racing crews for regattas.
- Traveling to and attending local, national and international regattas.
- Planning and overseeing de-rigging and re-rigging sessions.
- Maintaining a positive and welcoming squad atmosphere.
- Purchasing shells and other rowing equipment.
- Repairing boats and other rowing equipment.
- Recruiting and retaining athletes.
- Running fundraising campaigns.
If you feel that you’re a good fit for this position, here’s what we need from you:
- A short description of your coaching philosophy.
- A one page summary of your rowing and any other relevant experience.